Tuesday, November 28, 2006

insert inert



















you hitched your star to mine in a trailer park
you reached out to me but it was a shot in the dark
at best it made things worse
soon enough it'll all be over
egg on my face
i've had enough

i shot the stars out of my gun
it was target practice
i missed at best
if i hit something i'll pay for the damage
the window cracked
and years later i heard a crash
i went to investigate signs of life
but wound up where i started instead

a roadside map got me lost
and a highway got me feelin' so low
subhuman in the basement
the main attraction was a preview

the ticket was lost in the mail
so happy holidays
and don't give up the ghost
though it gave up on you

long ago
in a moment froze
a jar catching fireflies
in a paper forest
the blaze stayed
and passed through the night
like a dream it wouldn't stay
more flies in honey
fly paper just won't learn to stay

so i gave up on drinking the water
the horse just stays around to say my name

No comments: