Sunday, May 20, 2007

that angel had a glass jaw

I guess if you can hear the whistle blow
You don't need to move your clock ahead
But why don't you do me a favor and just move ahead
Cut my hair and change my name and move to a new city and think everything's different
But it's not
So stop chasing that dream when it ran you over in your wildest dreams
Even your best day was two hours short
You think you know what's up
But you're in a world of your own
That fear you sold will just strike you in the dark
Ring you up
Call you out
And knock knock knock
Won't you come to the door
Play your hand
Make your move
Someday soon
Now now now
No, no, no
You know who you're dealing with
For the better part of the past century
In this life or the next
Someone came and found you out
Now they're ringing the bell in the city square
There's never anyone there
Where it's all who you know
And the loudest man shouts
About nothing in particular
And everyone's so pleased to march along and listen
What're you beating a drum for?
Rally the troops when they're off you-know-where
And they don't dare
There's some sort of other life you've been living
So excuse me
If I know what I'm talking about and say it out loud
If you think you know, then go

I guess
If you can hear the whistle blow
Then you're too far away to make a difference
What's the indifference for?
Nothing's changed on my side of the line
My side of the fence
The grass is always greener
But now they're just seeing red
So don't give me no bullshit in a china shop
I swear I called you up
But you just wouldn't listen
So suck on the drawl
And come get your lumps
Because the heart on my sleeves got an arrow straight through it
Right? Right.

They want in your head to open a bed and breakfast there

Your best day hasn't come yet
So why are you so damned upset
It's all an uphill ride on the way down
But "at least you know where you stand," he told me this morning
Just another damned negotiation
Keep your hands inside the ride at all times
Cut my hair and change my name and move to a new city and think everything's different
Now accepting all donations
(Because) As a hostage
I've got to write
Just to stay so uninspired